Chiropractic Relieves Arthritis & Other Types of Chronic Pain
At Kanawha Valley Family Chiropractic, our Charleston chiropractor, Dr. Ganim Howard, meets hundreds of West Virginians every year who are living with chronic pain. Arthritis is one of the most common causes of chronic pain and a major reason why people from the Kanawha Valley come to our clinic seeking natural pain management.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis means "joint inflammation." While there are over 100 different types of arthritis, osteoarthritis (OA) is probably the most commonly heard of one. It primarily occurs due to chronic wear and tear on the joint and eventually leads to breakdown of the protective cartilage inside joints like knees, shoulders, and wrists. This cartilage degradation can eventually lead to the compensatory overgrowth of bony spurs and narrowed joint space.
Other common types of arthritis include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis: an autoimmune disorder in which a person's immune system mistakenly attacks the joints, thereby creating an uncontrolled inflammatory response within the articular space
- Gout: a type of metabolic arthritis in which the body has too much uric acid, which is a natural by-product created when certain foods are broken down in the body; this excess uric acid can build up in the joints, leading to inflammation and pain
- Septic arthritis: joint inflammation caused by infection
Common Signs & Symptoms of Arthritis
Different types of arthritis can present a little differently and may be more or less likely to affect certain joints (either on both sides or only one side of the body). However, a few common symptoms include:
- Pain in the joint that often feels achy, dull, and sore
- Pain which may radiate down toward other joints (e.g., OA of the hip often refers into the knee)
- Stiffness and decreased range of motion, especially first thing in the morning
- Warmth, redness, and swelling around the joint (especially in gout)
- Joint abnormalities or misalignments
The Role of a Chiropractor in Arthritis Pain Relief
Dr. Howard provides pain relief from your arthritic condition using a variety of services and techniques that are non-invasive and free of medication:
- Chiropractic adjustments, which can gently maximize joint alignment and trigger natural pain relief
- Corrective exercises, to strengthen muscles supporting affected joints
- Nutritional and lifestyle counseling, to help you improve posture, lose excess weight (which can strain already injured joints), and learn about foods and supplements which lower inflammation
At our clinic, we're also proud to provide massage therapy, which can help increase healing circulation, ease pain, improve range of motion, and reduce swelling around affected joints.
Contact Our Charleston-based Chiropractor for Treatment Today
Get drug-free and non-invasive pain management at Kanawha Valley Family Chiropractic by contacting us at (304) 925-1697.